National Women’s Museum was officially opened by Her Majesty Queen
Sonja in 1995.
The raison d’être of Kvinnemuseet is to collect documentation of
the life and work of Norwegian women in our cultural history up
to the present time. In doing so, the Museum hopes to inspire and
further a better development in our society, by focusing on the
diversity and plight of women in their daily life.
Kvinnemuseet is located in a beautiful villa in Swiss style, dating
from 1857. Its name Rolighed means "Peaceful place", and was
once the home of Dagny Juel.
She grew up there, in the vicinity of the 17th century fortress
and well conserved wooden buildings of Øvrebyen, the oldest part
of Kongsvinger town.
Among its many activities Kvinnemuseet will every summer introduce
new cultural historical exhibitions and exhibitions of contemporary
art. The Millennium exhibition "Camillas Latter… Kvinnesaken gjennom
150 år" Camilla’s laughter is dedicated to the history of women’s
rights over the past 150 years. There is a permanent exhibition
dedicated to Dagny Juel (18671901), and her role as a pianist and
author in the dynamic company of famous European artists.
In the museum’s distinctive sitting room and blue stencilled kitchen
Café Dagny offers home made luncheons and the World-renowned Bohemian
Opening hours: JuneAugust daily from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Groups: Contact us for arrangements throughout the year.
Special program for school classes.